News

Employers will have the possibility to receive compensation for certain competency measures

18 December 2020 klockan 13.53

Approx. SEK 15.4 billion from the central government budget for 2021 is to go to the expenditure area Industry and Trade. Most of the money will go to the Swedish Agency for Innovation Systems: research and development will receive a little over SEK 3.5 billion, support to short-time work will be allocated around SEK 2.1 billion, and SEK 2 billion and SEK 1.5 will go to redeployment support and support to sole traders respectively.

The Riksdag has voted in favour of the Government's proposal on how the money is to be distributed. The proposal is based on an agreement between the Social Democratic Party, the Centre Party, the Liberal Party and the Green Party. The Riksdag rejected the alternative budget proposals which have been presented in various motions.

Furthermore, the Act on Support in the Event of Short-time Work is to be amended. During 2020, supplementary provisions have been added to the Act as a result of the crisis brought on by the coronavirus. The Government has now proposed a further amendment which enables employers who receive support for providing short-time work, and who are arranging competency measures during the period when employees have no work, to receive compensation for such measures. The state will be able to compensate 60 per cent of the cost and employers will bear the remaining 40 per cent of the cost.

The Riksdag also voted in favour of the Government's proposal for objectives for foreign trade, export and investment promotion and the adjusted mandate for Visit Sweden AB, one of the effects of which will be that the company can market Sweden as a visitors' destination for both foreign and domestic target groups. The amendments will come into force on 1 January 2021.

The Riksdag decides on the central government budget in two stages. First, the framework is decided on for the 27 expenditure areas in the budget. This was decided on by the Riksdag on 25 November 2020. After this, the second step is for the Riksdag to decide how the money is to be distributed inside each expenditure area. This decision is step two in the decision-making process.