Parliamentary elections will be held in Kazakhstan on 19 March. Eight members of the Riksdag will participate in an international delegation which will observe the elections.
Members of the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly will participate in the observation mission. Their task is to follow up whether the elections are open and conducted in a correct manner, by being present in selected parts of the country on the day of the elections. The members will observe the elections, the sealing of voting slips and the counting of the votes in various polling stations.
Eight members will participate from Sweden:
- Björn Söder (Sweden Democrats)
- Johan Büser (Social Democratic Party)
- Margareta Cederfelt (Moderate Party)
- Carina Ödebrink (Social Democratic Party)
- Helena Storckenfeldt (Moderate Party)
- Markus Wiechel (Sweden Democrats)
- Lars Isacsson (Social Democratic Party)
- Ulrik Nilsson (Moderate Party)
The Swedish election observation mission will be based in and around the capital Astana, and in Almaty. In total, approximately 60 members of parliament will participate from 31 of the OSCE's member countries.
The OSCE Parliamentary Assembly
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) is an organisation for security policy dialogue and cooperation in Europe. An important task for the organisation is to observe parliamentary and presidential elections in different countries.
The election observation mission is being organised in collaboration with ODIHR, the OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights. ODIHR will have observers in the country for a longer period, both before and after the elections.
Press conference in Astana
On 20 March, a press conference will be held at Radisson Hotel Astana, where a preliminary statement concerning the elections will be made. The statement will be published on the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly website.
Contacts for the media
- Simona de Ciutiis, International Advisor, International Department of the Riksdag, telephone + 46 72 248 60 07, email email@example.com
- Fredrik Svensson, International Senior Advisor, International Department of the Riksdag, telephone +46 730 96 64 67, email firstname.lastname@example.org